Thursday, June 12, 2014

It's Retro Kitten Apparel's Birthday! RKA Is Turning 6 Years Old!


Retro Kitten Apparel is excited to celebrate our 6th Birthday with all of you Pin-up Girl's and enthusiasts, Retro, Rockabilly, Punk, Vintage Loving, Mod, Skin, and Alternative girl and boy out there, and every single sub-genre to surface the scene! I am Lindsay Dominguez, the owner of Retro Kitten Apparel. RKA is the very first "Online Alternative Second Hand Store", and it was 6 years ago today when I was sitting in front of my computer looking at my little girl, only 7 months after we lost her father and my husband in a car accident, thinking about how bad I wanted/needed to stay home with her through those tough times when an ad crossed my computer screen advertising owning a small business on Yahoo!. I sat there fondly remembering the very first time I walked into Valentino's, a brick and mortar store in the Tower District of Fresno, California, and how amazed and excited I was that a store that sold Punk Rock clothing actually existed in the city I lived in. Valentino's was split into two sections with one side full of Alternative Punk clothing, shoes, and accessories by big name brands like Na Na's, T.U.K., and Lip Service and the other side full of Vintage merchandise. At that time, the 50's era revival hadn't happened and I wasn't much interested in the vintage side of the store, however, I was very happy to be able to buy my very first pair of black suede Na Na ankle boots with 6 leopard buckle straps on the spot. At $75 for a pair of Punk Rock shoes I was only able to purchase anything on my birthday or Christmas, but that didn't stop me from browsing through the store every chance I got. The rest of the time I went back to the never ending sorting through rack after rack at every thrift shop in the city only to find very few cool items to create my own Punk clothes. I was 12 years old then, but I knew that someday I wanted to own my very own Punk Rock/Vintage store! So there I sat staring at this ad suggesting that I could own my own business for a small fee and it came to me - an online, second-hand alternative store! So many years had passed and I now had access to every genre and sub-genre style of clothing there was, and I could actually start an exclusive Pin-up/Vintage style, Punk, and Rockabilly Alternative Thrift store so nobody ever had to weed through all the other fashions to find something to satisfy their taste, and I could sell these clothes, shoes, and accessories to everyone across the world at affordable prices. No one had to wait for their birthday to roll around anymore! Everyone could afford a pair of $150 Dr. Martens, or a $100 Lucky 13 dress now because I would buy it gently used, in excellent condition and sell it for up to 75% off the retail price! By midnight, Retro Kitten Apparel (then it was called Gypsies Do It Better) was born! I spent the next year rearing my baby and molding this store into exactly what I wanted, and now, 6 years later, we are still here and thriving! I've had the pleasure of meeting lots of very enthusiastic customers, high ranking on all major search engines, and Retro Kitten Apparel was recently voted "The #1 Thrift Shop in Arroyo Grande, Ca", and we received a trophy! Although RKA is an online store we are currently based on the Central Coast of California in the Five Cities, which includes Arroyo Grande. I was just coming off of a 6 month hiatus, although the store was up and running, I was out and playing, when I received the recognition and the award, and what perfect timing, because we were about to turn 6 years old! So, I want to thank all of you for supporting Retro Kitten Apparel, and, in return, reward you with a celebratory Award/Birthday sale! So come on over to our web store: www.retrokittenapparel.com and check out our home page for details! Thanks again everyone, and have a rock & roll day!

No comments: